I make this vegan chickpea curry at least once a week during the wintertime. It’s quick, delicious, and very nourishing. I always seem to have the ingredients on hand, even when I’m almost out of groceries.
A few people have asked me for this recipe, so here it is!
Vegan Chickpea Curry Recipe
• 1 large onion, diced
• 1.5 tbsp ginger, minced
• 5 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 411g cans of fire roasted tomatoes
• 2 425g cans of chickpeas, drained (or about 3.5 – 4 cups cooked chickpeas)
• 1.5 Tbsp ground cumin
• 1 Tbsp coriander powder
• .5 tsp turmeric
• .25 tsp cardamom
• .25 tsp cinnamon
• .25 tsp cayenne powder
• 1 tsp sea salt
• Fresh ground black pepper to taste
• Half a lemon or lime, juiced
• Handful chopped fresh cilantro
• 1 cup water or vegetable broth
1. Saute the onions, ginger, and garlic in olive oil over medium heat for 8 – 10 minutes.
2. Add the tomatoes and spices except for salt and pepper and saute for another 10 minutes until tomatoes are broken down and soft.
3. Add chickpeas and turn heat down to low. Add 1 cup of water or veggie broth, and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Add the salt, pepper, and lemon juice and taste test. Add more cayenne if desired.
5. Blend half of the curry with a hand blender or food processor. Transfer into serving dish and garnish with chopped cilantro.
6. Serve with basmati rice or roti.
YUM!! I think I’m actually going to make this for dinner tonight, as it’s the day before grocery shopping (fridge is empty and I am two bananas shy of a banana situation!!)